CANADA Permanent Resident Card Renewal


The Canadian permanent resident card is originally named and still referred as the “Maple Leaf Card”. The first PR card was issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) in June 28, 2002. The PR card is an identification document and a travel document for permanent residents of Canada when you return. It is your responsibility to make sure your PR Card is still valid when you return from travel outside Canada and to apply for a new PR Card before your current card expires.

The PR card is valid for five years from the date of issue. However, in a situation of a failure to perform the residence obligation due to living outside of Canada for too long, the PR card holder may face the challenge of losing his or her permanent resident status when submitting a PR card application for renewal. When it happens, the applicant can renew his PR card for the validity of one year, return to Canada and appeal at IRB (Immigration and Refugee Board).


Who can apply for a permanent resident card renewal?

  1. A renewal of your PR Card that has or will soon expire
  2. You legally changed your name and need to update your PR card
  3. A replacement of your PR Card that has been lost, stolen or damaged
  4. To change the gender designation on your PR Card


  • If your PR Card is still valid for more than 9 months (270 days), do not apply for a renewal, unless your legal name has changed. Otherwise, your application will be returned.
  • You will automatically receive your new card by mail when you first arrive in Canada. This is part of the immigration process and you do not need to apply for a PR Card. However, you must notify Immigration your address in CANADA in 180 days after landing by visiting here.
  • It must be an inland application for PR Card Renewal.


Who is eligible to apply?

  1. Be a permanent resident of Canada
  2. Be physically present in Canada
  3. Meet the residency requirement (physically live in Canada for 730 days in the last 5 years before submitting an application)
  4. Not be under an effective removal order
  5. Not be a Canadian citizen
  6. Not be convicted of an offense related to the misuse of a PR Card


Gather your documents

  • Document Checklist IMM5644
  • Application Form IMM5444
  • A photocopy of your current PR Card (If you are applying to replace a damaged card, send the damaged card)
  • A photocopy of your valid passport or a travel document
  • Two identical photos taken within six months of the date of this application, check photograph specifications here
  • Pay your application fees here, print and include receipt with your application
  • If you are under 18, you will need to provide a birth certificate, a photocopy of your school records (report cards, transcripts, attendance records) or legal documentation issued by a Canadian court which proves guardianship
  • If you were outside Canada for 1095 days or more in the past five years, you will need to provide evidence to prove your residence requirements
  • If you changed your name or gender, you will need to submit the relevant supporting documents


Fees, Mailing Address and Processing time

Application fee: 50CAD

Please mail your application to:

Case Processing Centre — PR Card
P.O. Box 10020

Processing time: approximately 1 month.


More questions? Please click the Chat Icon at the bottom right or click this link to book an appointment with our consultant!