Student Direct Stream (SDS)
The Student Direct Stream (SDS) is an expedited study permit processing program for those who are applying to study in Canada at a post-secondary designated learning institution (DLI). The SDS is available to legal residents who also reside in
About the SDS
- Some international students can get their study permits faster by using the SDS. IRCC processes most SDS applications within 20 calendar daysif the eligibility requirements are met.
- Only applications submitted electronically are eligible for SDS processing. All paper applications are processed under the regular study permit application stream and are subject to the associated processing times.
- Foreign nationals who are eligible for SDS processing are still subject to all other eligibility and admissibility requirements under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR).
Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC)
A GIC is a Canadian investment that has a guaranteed rate of return for a fixed period of time. Many banks offer GICs. The bank that gives you the GIC must:
- confirm that you bought a GIC by giving you 1 of the following:
- a letter of attestation
- a GIC certificate
- an Investment Directions Confirmation or
- an Investment Balance Confirmation
- hold the GIC in an investment account or a student account that you can’t access until you arrive in Canada
- make you confirm your identity before they release any funds to you
- release the funds to you by providing:
- an initial lump sum once you identify yourself upon arrival in Canada
- the remainder of the funds in monthly or bi-monthly installments over 10 to 12 months
If your bank or GIC doesn’t meet these criteria, you won’t be able to apply through the Student Direct Stream.
Benefits of Student Direct Stream Program (SDS)
- Less processing time
- Get priority to achieve Visa
- The quality of the institutions is assured
- Less documents required to prove financial eligibility
- An opportunity to get a Work Permit after studying up to 3 year
Risk of Refusal
Even with Student Direct Stream, applicants over age of 30 will increase probability of refusal.
However, if the application is refused, you can request for a refund of GIC with the refusal letter. You can also request the school which you applied to refund the prepaid tuition fee. School and the bank may deduct a small amount of administration fees (usually less than CAD 500).
Depending on where you’re applying from, you may also need to provide other documents. Make sure you include all the documents required by the visa office that processes your application.
More questions? Please click the Chat Icon at the bottom right or click this link to book an appointment with our consultant!