Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) is a program for skilled workers with foreign work experience who want to immigrate to Canada permanently. The federal government of Canada plans to absorb overseas talents every year to compensate for the slow growth of the population and the shortage of talents.
Skilled workers are chosen as permanent residents based on their age, education, work experience, a valid job offer, knowledge of English and/or French, and adaptability. These factors are part of a 100-point grid used to assess eligibility for the Federal Skilled Worker Program. The applicant needs 67 points to be qualified to apply.
Once the foreign worker’s profile is in the Express Entry pool, a different system called Comprehensive Ranking System will rank applicant’s profile. The highest-ranking candidates from the pool will be selected and invited to apply for permanent residence.
Eligibility to apply
- In the past ten years, at least 1 year of continuous work or 1,560 hours total (30 hours per week) (NOC 0, A or B occupation) experience, the position must be the same category
- Applicants scored 67 or more in the self-assessment score sheet
- must show that you have enough money for you and your family to settle in Canada, unless you:
- are currently able to legally work in Canada
- have a valid job offer from an employer in Canada
- English or French: must get a minimum score of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 in all 4 abilities
- Applicants and their families must undergo a medical examination and obtain a security clearance
- Must plan to live outside of Quebec
Selection factor point grid for minimum 67 points
Language skills (maximum 28 points)
You can get up to 28 points for your language skills in English and French.
You must get a minimum level of CLB 7 or NCLC 7 for 1 official language in all 4 language areas. To get points for the second official language, you must meet the minimum level of CLB 5 or NCLC 5 in all 4 language areas.
Take the IELTS – General Training as an example:
||Points for Each Ability
Education (maximum 25 points)
- Doctor’s degree: 25 points
- Master’s degree: 23 points
- More than two diploma or undergraduate degrees: 22 points
- 3 years advanced diploma or bachelor’s degree: 21 points
- 2-year diploma: 19 points
- 1-year college degree: 15 points
- High school diploma: 5 points
Work experience (maximum 15 points)
- 6years or more of continuous work experience in the same position: 15 points
- 4-5 years of continuous work experience in the same position: 13 points
- 2-3 years of continuous work experience in the same position: 11 points
- 1 year of continuous work experience with the same position: 9 points
Age (maximum 12 points)
- 18-35 years old: 12 points
- Under 18 or over age of 45 (including 45): 0
- 36-44 years old: 1-point deduction for each additional year from the age of 35 (44-year-old applicant can get 3 points)
Arranged employment in Canada (maximum 10 points)
You can get points if you have a job offer of at least 1 year from a Canadian employer. You must get the job offer before you apply to come to Canada as a Federal Skilled Worker.
A valid job offer has to be:
- for continuous, paid, full-time work (minimum of 30 hours/week) that is:
- not seasonal
- for at least 1 year
- in an occupation listed as Skill Type 0 or Skill Level A or B of the NOC.
Adaptability (maximum 10 points)
You and your spouse or common-law partner who will immigrate with you to Canada can earn points for adaptability.
- Applicant’s spouse who meets language CLB4: 5 points;
- Applicant or spouse full-time study in Canada for 2 years (15 hours / week): 5 points;
- Applicant or spouse has 1 year of Canadian work experience: 5 points;
- Arranged employment: 5 points;
- Applicant or spouse has relatives in Canada: 5 points (relatives must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents, living in Canada and over 18 years old)
If you score 67 points or higher from the above 6 selections, your profile can enter Express Entry pool.
More questions? Please click the Chat Icon at the bottom right or click this link to book an appointment with our consultant!