Transit Visa is a visa that you may need to transit through Canada on your way to a third country (such as the United States or South American countries), which allows passengers to stay in Canada for up to 48 hours. The transit visa is valid for 3 months from the date of issuance. According to the travel plan, the transit visa can be single or multiple entry. The processing time is about 10-15 business days.


Transit visa

You need a transit visa if you’re from a visa-required country and:

  • your international flight stops at a Canadian airport on its way to another country
  • you’ll be connecting between 2 international flights at a Canadian airport
  • you’ll transit through Canada in 48 hours or less
  • you don’t have a valid visitor visa


Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

You need an eTA to transit through Canada by air if you’re from an eTA-required country.

You don’t need an eTA if you’re transiting through Canada and you enter by train, bus, boat or cruise ship. You do need to bring the right travel documents.


Transit without a visa – Citizens and permanent residents of the United States

US citizens and lawful permanent residents of the U.S. can transit through Canada without a visa by:

  • air
  • car
  • bus
  • train
  • boat
  • cruise ship

You just need to bring the right travel documents.


Passport holders of certain countries

You may be able to transit without a visa if you hold a passport from one of the following countries and you meet certain conditions:

  • China
  • Indonesia
  • Philippines
  • Thailand or
  • Taiwan (holder of passport without a personal identification number)


More questions? Please click the Chat Icon at the bottom right or click this link to book an appointment with our consultant!