A closed work permit is the one with special conditions. There are clear restrictions and requirements for the employer, working hours and workplace that the permit holder will work for. Generally, a closed work permit is applicable to applicants who apply to work from outside Canada or who do not meet the conditions for an open work permit.

Before applying to a closed work permit, the applicant must find an employer that meets the requirements and has a positive Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). This is a document from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) that gives the employer permission to hire a temporary worker.

A LMIA is needed for employers to hire foreign workers when they are facing short-term skills and labour shortages, and only when no Canadians and permanent residents are available. When the employer obtains a positive LMIA, the foreign worker can apply to the immigration office for a closed work permit.


Jobs exempt from the LMIA

Your employer doesn’t need an LMIA to support your job offer if:

  1. you have been working full-time for the employer on your work permit for at least 1 year (or an equal amount of part-time work)
  2. you have a valid job offer, and
  3. you have a valid work permit that is exempt from an LMIA under:
    • an international agreement
    • a federal-provincial agreement
    • the “Canadian interests” category


More questions? Please click the Chat Icon at the bottom right or click this link to book an appointment with our consultant!