Canadian Experience Class (CEC) is a permanent residence category for people with skilled work experience in Canada. It was designed for temporary foreign workers and international graduates with qualified Canadian work experience to become permanent residents.

Express Entry is an online system that used to manage applications for permanent residence from skilled workers. The first step is to submit your profile to the Express Entry pool. The Applicants will be ranked based on their age, education, work experience, language, etc. by a points-based system, called Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS).


Eligibility to Apply 

  • Work experience:
    • At least 1 year full-time or equivalent part-time work experience in the past 3 years (30 hours / week, 1560 hours / year)
    • Work experience can be in 1 or more NOC 0, A or B jobs in the Canadian National Occupation Classification (NOC).
    • The work experience gained is authorized to be legally working in Canada
    • Work experience must be obtained after graduation and must have legal status in Canada during work.
  • Explanation of work experience
    • one year of full-time work
      • 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours), or
    • equal amount in part-time hours, such as:
      • 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
      • 30 hours/week for 12 months at more than 1 job = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)

Note. For part-time work, you can work more or less than 15 hours/week as long as it adds up to 1,560 hours. Any hours you work above 30 hours/week will not be counted.

    • Work experience does not need to be continuous, non-continuous work experience can also obtain the corresponding score in the system
    • The work experience during full-time study does not counted. Students who have met the requirements to apply post-graduation work permit can work. The work experience during the waiting time will also be counted towards to CEC.
    • Applicants are not required to stay in Canada during the application of Canadian Experience Class. For example, if the applicant has gone to another country to work after working one year in Canada, he/she can also submit Canadian Experience Class application outside Canada.
  • Job type
    • Skill Type 0: management jobs, such as:
      • restaurant managers
      • mine managers
      • shore captains (fishing)
    • Skill Type A: professional jobs that usually need a degree from a university, such as:
      • doctors
      • dentists
      • architects
    • Skill Type B: technical jobs and skilled trades that usually need a college diploma or training as an apprentice, such as:
      • chefs
      • plumbers
      • electricians
  • Education level
    • Canadian local high school and above
    • If you have a diploma or degree from another country, you must complete the Educational Credential Assessment (ECA)certification to validate.
  • Language ability
    • meet the minimum language level of:
      • Canadian Language Benchmark 7 for NOC 0 or A jobs or
      • Canadian Language Benchmark 5 for NOC B jobs
    • Participate in immigration-approved language tests such as the Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP) and the Canadian Academic English Language Test (CAEL).

Note: The above English language test scores are required to enter the Express Enter minimum requirements, not the English language test scores for immigration invitations.

    • Your language tests are valid for 2 years after the date of the test result and must be valid on the day you apply for permanent residence.
  • Ranking
    • After all the above basic conditions have been met, the applicant can enter the pool through Express Entry. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada will rank all applicants from top to bottom according to the score. Immigration Canada will invite applicants with the highest score to apply according to each round invitation cut-off points.


Which type of jobs fall under the National Occupational Classification (NOC)?

Immigration Canada use the National Occupational Classification (NOC) system to classify jobs (occupations). Jobs are grouped based on the type of:

  • job duties
  • work a person does

The immigration programs use the NOC to decide if a job or type of work experience meets their eligibility. Immigration Canada considers “skilled” jobs those with NOC Skill Type 0, A or B.  Jobs are assessed against the 2016 version of the NOC. You must show that you performed the duties set out in the lead statement of the occupational description in the National Occupational Classification.


More questions? Please click the Chat Icon at the bottom right or click this link to book an appointment with our consultant!