Most foreign nationals need a study permit to study in Canada. The cases below are exceptions.

You can study at any school in Canada without a study permit if:

    • your course or program lasts 6 months or less
    • your studies aren’t part of a longer program and
    • you’ll complete all your studies within the time we approved you to stay in Canada (usually 6 months after you enter)

If you’re taking prerequisite courses, you should get a study permit, even if the courses are less than 6 months long. If you don’t, you’ll have to apply for a study permit before you can start your full study program. Depending on processing times, you may not get it in time to start your studies.

Minor children don’t need a study permit if:

    • they’re in kindergarten
    • they’re refugees or refugee claimants
    • their parents are refugees or refugee claimants or
    • they’re in pre-school, primary or secondary school, and they’re already in Canada with a parent who has a work or study permit


Why get a study permit if you don’t need one?

There are 2 reasons you may want to get a study permit even if you don’t need one:

  • You may be able to continue studying (as long as you meet the requirements)
  • You may be able to work on-campus or off-campus


More questions? Please click the Chat Icon at the bottom right or click this link to book an appointment with our consultant!